The average employee spends around 90,000 hours at work over the course of their career, and for the majority, that time is spent in the office.
The office is second home and so ideally it should be a pleasant, harmonious environment to be spending so much time in. But the reality of placing an eclectic mix of personalities into the same building for a while is bound to grate and create some friction, and very often this leads to quirks and annoyances. The colleague who used to leave half-eaten Cornish pasties on his desk every day springs to mind me for, and the mouldy stench that would gradually work its way towards my desk! Or the ‘old school’ journalist, who would pour himself a glass of red wine at his desk every lunch time, and ask not to be disturbed.
While some of these irritations you can laugh about, others become a daily bug bear. Let these gifs do the talking and see if you can relate to any of these realities of working in an office…
1. Your old and tired work computer
2. When your boss walks past
3. That rare moment of praise from your boss
4. The colleague who always makes a song and dance when it’s his tea round
5. When you boss steps out
6. Your ‘to do’ list versus the time at your desk to work through it
7. Does anyone know what this dude does?
8. When your computer crashes and you lose the presentation you’ve been working on all afternoon
9. When at 5pm you find out you need to stay late for a web conference
10. Your colleagues’ reaction when you try to leave on time for once